Monday 28 July 2008

Folkestone Warren

I went to Folkestone Warren looking for Grayling butterflies......

....and all I found was this Dingy Skipper.

Does anybody know where the Graylings are? It's a big place to search.

Post Script....I missed a guided walk last Sunday - darn it!

SUMMER WILDLIFE OF THE HERITAGE COAST A walk through the Folkestone Warren in search of wildflowers and butterflies. Donation appreciated.LEADER: Phil Green, White Cliffs Countryside Project (01304 241806 or 07880 706993). MEET: The Pavilion car park, Wear Bay Road, Folkestone (TR 239 364). DISTANCE: 4 miles (3 hours). GRADE: 3

5 comments:

Greenie said...

I don't know Folkestone Warren at all so can't help with the Grayling , but that 2nd. brood Dingy Skipper wasn't a bad substitute .

Kingsdowner said...

Thanks anyway Greenie -I was surprised to see a Dingy in July, but then read that there are second generation flyers in 'hot' summers - so it's official!

Mary said...

Maybe you can get them to have another walk if they know there is interest. It's a nice little skipper and the countryside looks lovely.

NW Nature Nut said...

You are so lucky to have so many species near you. I need to do some research and go to a butterfly "hotspot". I just don't see the variety you seem to find. What fun. Do you find them hard to photograph? They never seem to sit still for long!

me ann my camera said...

Beautiful landscapes in that area and an interesting skipper with a rather dull name; and it looks quite large for a skipper.
ann