Wednesday 9 September 2009

Nettle-leaved Bellflower

There's not a lot of floral interest in the hedgerows at this time of the year, but a few plants of nettle-leaved bellflower caught my eye in an unassuming lane on the way to work.

This is more seasonal fare.....hazel nuts (they are all Kent Cobs to me, but I understand that that's a name of a cultivar)...
....and bittersweet.
A caterpillar (marbled white?) has taken a fancy to my tyre, but Pete got a rather more spectacular beast - a privet hawk moth caterpillar.
House martins are now the only inhabitants of the cliffs (apart from resident doves and jackdaws).
The garden was buzzing with warblers today, in a mixed flock with chaffinches, blue tits and long-tails.

5 comments:

DOT said...

On your way to work? When do get time to work? I thought this was your work.

Kingsdowner said...

Unfortunately I spend most of my waking hours working, but when I'm supposed to be doing housework/DIY/etc I'm usually to be found in the countriside or attached to the computer.

Mary said...

A very colorful post! I like the shot of the flower sticking out towards the road. Cool caterpillars!

Greenie said...

Steve ,
Makes a change for you to get flowers later than up here .
Think it was mid July I had them at the farm lake .
I could hear the old violin playing in your reply to DOT .

Kingsdowner said...

Greenie,
The comment was in the wake of a set of postings on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/26135972@N05/3897050210/

I'm surrounded by retired people enjoying themselves!