Sunday 11 May 2008

Devil's Kneading Trough

The Devil's Kneading Trough is the name both of a steep dry valley above Wye, and of a restaurant with views over the same. I'm pleased to report that we made the most of both of them, with a tasty meal of Nile Perch* with a cracking Puilly-Loché white.

A post-prandial stroll and then doze on the herb-rich grass of the downs provided brief sightings of Dingy Skippers
and then more prolonged views of more relaxed Green-Letter Hairstreaks.
We didn't stray far from the main paths, so only a few Early Purple Orchids were seen.
* Nile Perch tastes very good, but the tale of its introduction in Lake Victoria would ruin your appetite.

6 comments:

abbey meadows said...

It's a few days since I have trawled through the blogs but spring has certainly arrived here. Quality pics of quality species on all of the posts.

Mary said...

What a fascinating name....I wonder what the devil is kneading? Great pics as always...love that green butterfly and the orchids are so beautiful.

Mary said...

I'm leaving you a "Blogging with a Purpose" award on my blog....something you very much deserve. I don't know how to actually deliver it, but hope you will stop by and copy it. Keep up the good work!

Steve said...

Really interesting post Steve. Nice pictures too.

Warren Baker said...

I'll have to try a ''Post Prandial'' Maybe thats what i'm lacking on my patch. (whatever it is)
Nice pics steve.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Beautiful scenery and I've not seen any of those colorful butterflies before. I liked your previous posts, too. I always enjoy my visits here. Your posts evoke such peace. Congratulations on your award! Well deserved!