Saturday 10 May 2008

Kites and bugs

There has been a spate of raptor sightings nearby (Bockhill, Sutton etc) in the last couple of days, and for a change I was not completely passed by - while others have seen Osprey, Rough-Legged Buzzard and Black Kite, the bird that flew in off the sea over me today was a Red Kite - not my UK first (as the others would have been) but welcome nonetheless.Just to check that it wasn't a Black version, I boosted the exposure which revealed the lighter patterns on the under-wings.

The main aim of the walk was to see butterflies in the warm sunshine. The shingle by South Road was the most productive, with Small Copper, Common Blue and Small Blue, as well as a Broad-Bodied Chaser and a bright Cinnabar moth.
Small CopperCommon Blue

Small Blue (male)
Small Blue underside
Cinnabar moth
Broad-Bodied Chaser

Along the rifle range were four types of white and a Clouded Yellow was also around. Later, in the garden were Speckled Woods and Holly Blues.

Mouse-eared Hawkweed

A purple variant of Milkweed

And finally, whatever is this bloated fat bug - it looks a tasty morsel to me!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Congrats on the kite sighting! You really saw a lot of different butterflies and all so colorful. I really liked the blue one and the red striped one. That fat bug looked like it should be a character in an animated film...actually sort of cute and I like the iridescent color. I've never seen a purple milkweed...very pretty color!

me ann my camera said...

I think we have Blues and Sulphurs in common. Your photos like the same are ours are here.

Sweetest Ambrosia said...

when i first saw that fat bloated bug i thought it was a rolypoly. upon a closer inspection, it turns out it was not. ^_^'''